Any thought given to changing name?

Not to be too Anglocentric, but as a native English speaker, I find the name for this wonderful product to be almost unpronounceable. I often find myself trying to tell people about it, but stumble when trying to even remember what it is called. Has there been any thought given to renaming Asqatasun to something that has cognates in many different languages?

hi @rfentres,

[quote]
Not to be too Anglocentric, but as a native English speaker, I find the name for this wonderful product to be almost unpronounceable. I often find myself trying to tell people about it, but stumble when trying to even remember what it is called. [/quote]

For English speakers, Asqatasun should be pronounced like “askata-soon”
but you can pronounce it the way you like most :sunglasses:

I don’t think so
One of the reasons is available here

I dig it, and can appreciate how the language is central to the cultural identity of some folks, and maybe you’re making a statement there, but according to Wikipedia,

Basque is unrelated to the other languages of Europe and indeed, as a language isolate, any other known language.

I’m sure this isn’t news to you.

I just feel like your wonderful work could reach and help more people if the name was something that folks outside of Basque could actually remember. I’ve tried to tell people many times about Asqatasun, but haven’t been able to bring to mind the name, because there are literally no linguistic hooks for it to stick in my brain.

1 Like

thanks @rfentres for your feedback

@koj, @mfaure can you continue the discussion?
My English, like my Basque are not good enough… :confused:

Hi @rfentres

Thank you for your feedback! You’re right the name is complicated to remember. The initial goal was to have a unique name (over the internet I mean), carrying an affirmed personality (i.e not something like “Paloma” which is cool but kind of too weak), and that would be easy to look for. Easy to look for, once you can write the name, that’s what we’ve learned…

We’ve spent much energy since almost two years to build that name, all the social contents and the various websites after we had to fork from Tanaguru. So changing the name now would not be a good idea.

That being said, we are truly open to any idea to enhance the communication aspect around Asqatasun. Opensource contribution can be also about communication concerns :slight_smile: